Wednesday, April 25, 2012

it's craft time...DIY doormat

My friend Meredith and I love to find DYI home projects on Pinterest.  We've recreated a few so far and all have been very successful.  Meredith found this DIY monogram doormat over at Sweet Something Design and I was instantly onboard!

Not only was this project super easy, but it was all made for just about $10.  It can't get any better than that right!?!?

Here's what you'll need to get started...
  • Rug from Walmart
  • Ruler
  • 2 different size plates (or other circular objects)
  • Sharpie
  • Black acrylic paint
  • Paint brush(s)




Head to your nearest Walmart and pick up this doormat for just under $7.00.


To create the circle, you'll need two round plates or circular object to trace.  You can decide how thick you want your outer circle.  I did mine on the think side so my initial could be larger.  You"ll want to make sure it's centered. 


Just trace the outside of your plate (or circular object) with a sharpie.  Here's a tip...line the outside of the plate with tape to make sure you don't get sharpie on it and then peal the tape off when you're done.   


Here's your outer circle.


Place your second plate (or circular object) inside and make sure it's in the center of the other circle so all the edges will be the same width.  Now trace this plate with a sharpie.


The outer circle is complete.


Now it's time to draw out your initial.  I'm pretty lucky that mine is all straight lines. Ha.  I used a ruler to do the basic letter and then I made it thicker.  


The hard part is done.  It's time to paint.  I found using a small flat paint brush was easiest.  


It was a little challenging with the rug being woven, I just had to make sure it got in all the crevices.  So instead of using strokes, I dabbed it.    


And that's all there is to it.  Pretty easy and what a beautiful custom doormat!  


I must admit though, I'm a little curious as to how long it will last before the paint starts to wear off after we walk on it.  I plan to put it at our front door.  


We have several weddings coming up this summer and I've thought about making these for gifts.  I would have loved to receive this as a wedding gift myself.  I've done several monogram projects and I'm loving having "H" as my new initial instead of "W."  I'm just saying'  Ha.  

I hope this inspires you to get crafty and add a little something personalized to your front entry too.  If you make one, I'd love to see it!  

Happy day FRIENDS!





8 comments:

  1. Wow!!! Looks so good! I think you should definitely give them as gifts - I would love one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing diy project and it looks so easy. These would make fabulous wedding gifts...love it.

    xo erica

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, that is TOO cute! and simple enough, too :) i'd def need to try this using a different font type! thanks for the idea... made a follower out of me!

    dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh, how cute and simple enough to make! i love it!!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great and easy DIY project! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, great idea! I should make one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving this! What a great and affordable idea! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your comment. I love reading all the sweet comments! :)