Sunday, March 11, 2012

what's for dinner?

As a new housewife, I have become the chef in our family.  While we were dating, I must admit that Mr. H spent more time in the kitchen than I did.  However, the roles have reversed since we've been married due to the fact that I usually get home before Mr. H and I actually enjoy cooking now.  We now have a nice routine of going to the store on Sunday afternoon (which Mr. H LOVES...jk) to prepare for our meals for the week ahead.  This way we know what we are having for dinner every night and what I love most is that I don't have to go to the store in the middle of the week-Hallelujiah!

Pinterest has been my new best friend recently!!  It's given me so much inspiration when it comes to many things, but specifically cooking.  I wasn't one who could look through a cookbook and get ideas.  I need pictures and like to see the final product.  I also like that I can see comments and suggestions from those who have made the same thing.  I guess you could say I judge a book by it's cover.

Mr. H and I have found some great dinner recipes and several very yummy dessert recipes.  Here are a few of our favorite dinners that I suggest trying (dessert favorites to come later!).  All of them are very easy, which I love.  Enjoy...


Maria's Cooking Adventure
This pot roast was super easy and a great dinner to come home to.  Crockpot recipes are so easy because your entire meal is ready to eat with no preparation at all.  The leftovers are even yummy too.  We actually froze half and had it for dinner two weeks later.  I put it all in a medium size pot with the lid on then put it in the oven for about 30-40 minutes.  It tasted like we just made it.  This will become a staple in the H family!


Pip and Ebby
I LOVE Mexican food so I was all over this recipe.  It's so versatile too.  When I made it, we put the chicken in tortillas with cheese and tomatoes then I made some guacamole to go with it.  Next time I make it I'll use the leftovers to make chicken quesadillas. 


Taste of Home
I actually revised this recipe a lot.  I liked the concept so I adapted it to what we'd like.  Mr. H doesn't like beans of any kind so I accommodated and left them out.  My revised enchilada casserole  basically consists of ground beef, cheese and tortillas.  I ground beef, then added some salsa and chili powder, then I started layering in a 9x9 pan.  A layer of flour tortillas, then the beef mixture, then a layer of cheese, then repeat.  I covered it with foil and baked if for 20 minutes at 400 degrees then uncovered for the last 5 minutes.  I served it with tomatoes and of course guacamole and salsa.  Yummy!



i nom things
This recipe was Mr. H approved.  He loves pasta and basically anything citrus so I knew this would meet his approval.  Usually we always end up with lots of leftovers when we cook dinner; however, this recipe was just enough for each of us to have one serving.  It's an easy go to recipe because usually we have everything on hand.  It could also work as a great side dish with chicken.  Instead of using fresh bail, I used dried basil.  I know fresh basil would taste better, but I didn't want to spend the extra money for just one simple dish.  Plus I always have dried basil on hand.  I also didn't include the pine nuts.  

The great thing about recipes is that you can always revise and adapt them to what you want.  I like that!  Thank you Pinterest (aka fellow bloggers) for ideas and inspiration!!  I am beginning to build some great staple recipes for Mr. H and I.  I am very excited to share all the yummy desserts I've made, but I'll save that for another post.  

Happy Dining!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I love reading all the sweet comments! :)